Awesome Interview Screening – Read Here “hire slow, fire fast.”
SCREENING New candidates for a Job – Reviewing Resumes
|Written Communication: Spelling errors||-5|
|Did lots job shifting between companies||-10|
|2-Years Experience. look for people who held jobs for 2-3 years.||+5|
|Side projects, Open Source||+5|
|Social Profile or blog (what s/he is interested in, talking about)||+5|
|Complete lack of a social media presence||-15|
|Previous startup work experience and the quality of those startupsPrevious startup work experience and the quality of those startups||+5|
|Previous Small Business Experience. more the better||+5|
|Foreign Experience. more the better||+5|
|Creativity in Resume is a good sign.||+10|
If we are rejecting someone, email them. Every single one. Make sure everyone that applies hears back from us at least once. (Why you should do it?)
SCREENING TWO – Phone Call (max 30 mins)l
- Test Verbal Communication
- Verifying the validity of their resume (i.e. how much did they exaggerate?)
- Testing for role fit (i.e. do they understand the role, and is that a good fit?)
- Testing for cultural fit (i.e. do we think we’ll get along well?)
- SOME QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Tell me about [picking something on the resume]…
- What did you learn at [pick company name]?
- What are you looking for in a new company?
- Tell me about the [pick a side project s/he’s worked on]… (or: Have you ever thought of doing a side project of some kind? If so, why haven’t you? What would you do?)
- What’s an ideal work environment for you?
- Do you read Hacker News? (i.e. Are you genuinely interested in startups and new technology?)
- Flexibility Question:- people should be flexible . in a startup timings will rarely be 9-5 affair
- Intrapreneurship Question? What would they do to improve the company.?
- TOTAL NO NOs
- dissing past/existing employers
- not having any questions
- not having done any research on the company
- After clearing the 2 screenings, ask the candidate to for video interview Ask them to block off half a day or more and we’d explain the process to them (verbally or via email) so they’d be somewhat prepared.
- First In-person Interview – with Partner 1
- Look for a personal connection. Do I want to bring this person onto my startup roller coaster and ride with them?
- find a mutual connection and respect.
- Second In-Person Interview – with Partner 2
- Third In-Person Interview – With the team : And the truth is that a lot of employees stay at a particular job because of their co-workers, even if they don’t like the job, the company or their boss. That’s how important it is for people to really bond with their co-workers.
- The Practical test:-
- Quick Web Search Test: Pass my “how fast can you find a solution armed with unrestricted web search” test. Throw a problem at someone (perhaps a rootkitted laptop?) and give her a web browser. A preferred candidate will be able to articulate the solution to me
- Testing: To gauge applicants’ raw talent and cultural fit administer short quizzes, an IQ test and even a psychological profile.
- Test Presentation Capabilities
- High On Self-Motivation: Motivation Test